Most couples we mentor and counsel, fail to recognize that sometimes even the smallest, and seemingly insignificant things can make a HUGE difference in building a healthy, happy marriage.
Hopefully, every marriage wants their goal to be intimacy. Staying connected to your spouse can be challenging, but powerful when it is done with focus and intentionality.
Here are a list of powerful, yet small activities, you can engage in to keep your passion burning and the love flowing:
- Tell your spouse “Thank you” more often.
- Greet them at the door when they arrive home from a long day – show excitement that they are home!
- Leave them a hand written love note somewhere they don’t expect it.
- Every day tell your spouse one thing you appreciate about them.
- Send a passionate, steamy text message telling your spouse you can’t wait to see them again.
- Make a list of why you fell in love with your spouse and keep it handy on those days when you need extra encouragement.
- Say “I am sorry” and take full responsibility if something you said or did hurt your spouse. Owning our mistakes go a long way in building intimacy and trust.
- Ask your spouse to tell you one thing about themselves that you don’t know yet.
- Hug your spouse MORE! Physical touch releases oxytocin which helps lower stress levels.
This list is not exhaustive, but rather intended to help you get your creative juices flowing. As you add some of these small gestures to your marriage daily, I promise it will produce tons of benefits.
One thing I learned early in our journey of recovering from sexual addiction and infidelity was to look my spouse in the eye and passionately state, “My goal with you today is connection. I want to do whatever it takes to build trust, intimacy and passion into our marriage.” As I faithfully voiced my intentions, it gave my spouse room to relax, enjoy the everyday moments of life and went a long, long way in restoring true passion and closeness back into our relationship.
A good marriage doesn’t just happen. It requires work, patience and lots of intentional moments, where your goal is to stay connected with one another no matter the cost. Love is a choice….every day!
Our prayer is that you choose to love your spouse more, LIVE every day with focus and intention and experience God’s abundant peace and joy in your marriage and family!
God has more in store for you than you can even imagine! Ephesians 3:20